Monday, September 1, 2008

Trip to the US Open

McKenzie and I had the opportunity to go to the US Open this past weekend.  I was looking forward to this trip to educate myself on the modern game and McKenzie loves New York.  It was a great weekend, I have been watching Federer and Nadal closely for years but had never seen them live.  We arrived late on Thursday night, our flight was delayed.  Thanks to the generosity of some friends McKenzie and I were picked up from the airport in a limo.  It was fun and a ton easier then catching a cab.  By the time we got to our hotel it was after 9pm.  We walked up a couple of blocks to time square and bought some great food on the way (cheese pizza for me.  I don't why but I love New York pizza, I crave it).  The next day McKenzie and I went with our friends to the Open. 
 
We got their at 11am and got back to the hotel at 1am in the morning.  During that 14 hour time span we watched Federer, Janokvic, Roddick, Davenport, and many others.  Also we had the opportunity, again due to the generosity of others, to have a great meal while we were there.  I had a $68 lobster.  Wow.  For me it was the greatest of days.  The next day I did the same thing 11 to probably 12 this time, watched Nadal, Safina, Murry etc, etc.  Loved it again.  Even got to sit court side for the Blake - Fish match.  I could go on for ever.  It was just AWESOME.  McKenzie went with friends to two Broadway shows - Legally Blond and The Little Mermaid.  She said she loved it but it couldn't have been as good as watching Nadal.  The last day we went to Serendipity and had a frozen hot chocolate.  McKenzie had been politely expressing her desire to go to this place which I was happy to attempt to work into the schedule without really understanding what it was about.  Our friends walked with us to the Serendipity restaurant.  Once we arrived they didn't feel the need to come in (it is a very small and unappealing restaurant from first impressions).  I have to admit I was thinking myself this frozen hot chocolate can't be that good.  Our friends left to go eat down the road and even called to let us know that they had seats for us when we were ready.  Mate, once we got that frozen hot chocolate Serendipity will be the first place we stop on our next trip to NY.  
It is just a drink, but it was amazing.  All in all NY never seems to disappoint.  Loved the food, the tennis, the company, and the FROZEN HOT CHOCOLATE. 

No comments: