Thursday, February 11, 2010

Australia Day

We love celebrating Australia Day. It is so fun incorporating Australian holidays into our family. While I was quizzing the kids about why we celebrate Australia Day, the kids looked at me blankly. I got all kinds of answers. I started going over in my mind, how we do this every year and I'm just not doing a good job teaching them. Craig being the fabulous hubby he is saw me turning this over in my head and decided to help the kids out. We were talking about England, the discovery of Australia, I asked "who discovered Australia?" Craig piped up "Christopher Columbus" McKay and Abby looked at him totally puzzled. McKay countered with "Christopher Columbus discovered American in 1492." Obviously we have a lot of work on Australian history in front of us.

We love having our traditional Aussie dinner. For some reason, making this very simple Australian meal takes me ALL day. I know the words "over exaggeration" are going through your minds. I mean look at the table there's not enough there to take all day. But for some reason it does. Every year I think, oh I'm doing so well on time I'll totally be done early enough this year. I'll get the mess washed up, before we eat. And yet it never happens.
This is the biggest culprit. Meat Pies. So good & totally Aussie. And totally worth it {at least once a year}.

And lamingtons. My ultimate favorite dessert. . . ever!
While we were in Australia last time, we picked up a rugby ball. The boys threw it around a little in the dark, on the ice. On one of the "bounces" McKay totally slipped on the ice and fell right on his rear end. {and being the fabulous mother I am, I laughed} Poor kid.


6 comments:

Mary said...

Happy Australia Day! (I don't know what it is either, so maybe when your kids figure it out, they can blog it!)

It was so good to see Craig today! I can't believe he had to work on Australia Day! We should really have you guys over sometime . . .

Katheryn Wiederhold said...

I love it! Everything looks great. And when does this day occur? Mmm..this reminds me that I haven't had dinner. I am glad you bring in the holidays where your husband is from. What an awesome wife you are :) Love you

The Alleman Family said...

How fun! The meat pies look so good! I love the authentic meat pie tins you have them in- it reminds me of the yucky banquet ones we would eat when we were younger. So I just learned from stalking lindsay's blog that your parents are going on a mission! That is crazy- you never mentioned that. They will be great!!

Addy Baird said...

Mannings-
Thank you for being such amazing cousins.
I love you so much and I am so glad you are all a part of my life.
Happy Valentines.

The Swifts said...

McKenzie don't get down on yourself, you did a fantastic job.
You have got to remember that we Aussies don't make our own meat pies or lamingtons we buy them from the shops.
I myself have never made a meat pie, and have only helped make lamingtons once when Craig had a fund-raiser.
So well done, my hat's off to you.

The Swifts said...

I think you will find that Captain Cook discovered Australia. Shame on you Craig your Grandmother lives on Captain Cook Crescent.
Not sure what year but the first fleet arrived in 1788.