Sunday, December 14, 2008

So Thankful!!

We recently had a friend in from Russia.  She was asking the update on Kimball's foot.  For a min. I wasn't sure what she was talking about.  Her daughter was trying to go into more detail about what it was.  Then it hit me.  How could something that was such a worry and blessing for me be almost forgotten.  

Kimball was born with a port wine stain on his foot.  This is not like a normal birthmark.  I hope I explain this right.  It is actually clusters of blood vessels close to the skin.  As the child matures the skin become darker, bumpy and ruff.  This part was not my concern.  With it being on his foot I figured it was just fine.  But... they can bleed easily if they get scratched or rubbed etc.  With it being on his foot of course it will get scratched and rubbed.  I'm a total research dork, so I hit the internet, books, people, our doctor.  What I found was there was a treatment that was done by lazier.  When it is fired (which feels like a rubber band snapping on you) it destroys the blood vessels.  It then turns to a bruise and heels and the younger the better.  It was hard for me to decide to get treatments at all.  "Will he think I didn't approve of him, will it hurt, then there was the whole thing about sedation.  There's only a couple in Utah who treat Port Wine Stains and they require sedation.  McKay has been under anesthesia a couple of time and neither time came out of it well."  Our pediatrician told us about the "Port Wine Doctor" in Colorado.  Of course I went home and researched him.  He had great reports, I called his office and got a really good feeling.  The more Craig and I talked about it the more we new medically he needed to have this done.  So we took the plunge.  His first appointment started in Feb. following his birth. Kimball & I flew back to CO every 6 week for treatment.  His Dr. was amazing.  I loved him.  He was kind, nice, fun, fast & always wore Converses.  That following Oct. he thought we should take a break.  Let it completely heal and start back up the in a year.  

As this October approached I knew it was time to schedule our appointment again.  I was hesitant.  He was older, would treatments be as effective, would he remember the pain more.  So I examined his foot to guess what the next little while would bring.  It looks like a dirty foot.  There are some small clusters in between his toes that when he was tiny they couldn't get the lazier in.  I couldn't believe it.  I don't know how I didn't pay more attention to it.  It looked great.  At his well child check our pediatrician looked at it and was astonished that it looked so well.  So we never made another appointment.

After our dear friends concern, it has been on my mind.  A few days later I was working on yet another project and was scrolling through older photos.  
I was scrolling quite fast, but these caught my eye: 




Oh how I'd forgotten.  To see these picture again brings tears to my eyes.  Not tears of sadness but tears of relief, gratefulness, thankfulness.  Knowing that the Lord has taken care of us.

I pulled out the camera to remember how good it looks now!


Isn't it amazing?  And truly a blessing from the Lord.  This was suppose to take three years at the min.  to treat.  I know the Lord guided us and directed us through this process.  I am so so grateful and I hope I won't forget this wonderful blessing again.  I know He loves us.

6 comments:

Kameron said...

Hi McKenzie!! I'm so glad you added your blog to your Christmas letter (so did we; we just haven't mailed the cards yet!). I know what you mean about kids and medical situations (both my boys require surgeries on their eyes for a lid thing - called ptosis). I'm happy for you that Kimball's foot is doing so well!! That's wonderful.

xoxo
kam

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing. What a neat blessing and great to remember and recognize the Lord's hand in your life. It is easy to forget when things are going well. His foot looks amazing.

Rosander said...

That is really amazing! What a blessing! It is amazing that we can forget such worries! I love those moments when we remember moments like this!

Natalie said...

Hey McKenzie,
I was happy to find out you are a blogger. I'm glad Kimball's foot healed so quickly. I love reading stories like this. The Lord is very aware of each of us!

Lauren said...

Yay, I found you guys on here! I still am going to need you to teach me some of your blogging tricks :) Glad to hear that Kimball's all healed and doing well!

Sierra Baird said...

Hey, I found a website that made me think of you, it's a knit and crochet community. You have to add yourself as a member (free) and then wait like a week to be accepted because so many people want to be in on it. Then you can exchange patterns and see what other people are making :)

https://www.ravelry.com/account/login