Sunday, December 7, 2008

Catchup Power Blogging

My hiatus is now over & there is so much that I've wanted to journal about.  But of course it's me, & I can't remember from min. to min.  so I'm sure this will be totally random & all over the place but let the catchup begin.  

The reason behind my hiatus is a very fun project that, as always, turned out to be larger then first anticipated, "The Baird Family Favorites, A Collection of Recipes & Such".  
For probably the last six years or so my mom has been wanting to do a family cookbook.  At one point she even started collecting hand written recipes from family members.  She proceeded to try to type each one in.  She very quickly got discouraged and quit.  Over the years she has brought it up several time.  The last time I agreed that it would be really nice not to have loose papers floating around my cupboards.  That's all it took.  Once every ones recipes started coming in on email, it started to become really fun.  I would be places & wonder if by the time I got home I would have fun new recipes in my in box.   

With layout, formatting, editing, etc.  the project took on a life of it's own & hundreds of hours on the computer.  I don't regret any of it.  However every time I saw the computer my head would start to get that buzz you get when you've been looking at the screen to long.  
After everything I think the book turned out great.  I was really excited about it.  Even with all our crazy mess ups (some quite large!) it was a fun project.  It's amazing how with such a simple thing as recipes I felt closer to my extended family.  It was like a little portal into their lives.  I'm very grateful to have had this experience, but I don't think there will be a 2nd edition from this editor.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Thanks so much for doing this!!! I love it. You are your mom are awsome and I am so grateful for the work you two put in.

Ashley said...

Ditto! Thanks a million! It is the greatest and you both did an amazing job. What a fabulous gift. Love it!