Monday, December 8, 2008

Festival of Trees

Every year @ Christmas time the Baird extended family puts together a service project.  It rotates through the 8 siblings.  This year my Uncle Dennis & Aunt Christine were in charge.  They chose to decorate and donate a tree to the Festival of Trees.  It then is sold at a silent auction.  All proceeds go to Primary Childrens Medical Center.  Each family had an assignment.  All of the married grandchildren (17 of us) donated a birdhouse for it.  When I heard this was what we were doing this year McKay was so excited.  He had just helped me collect Pennies By the Inch for Primary Childrens the week before.  He had been very interested in what else we could do to help these kids.  So instead of us going out to buy a bird house he decided to make one.  
It turned out pretty good.  He painted it red because he thought that with the festival in Salt Lake they would like it to be University of UTAH colors.  Once it was all said and done we went up to look at it to see the finished product.  Everyone was excited to go to the festival of trees prior to arriving.  As we walked around I  put Kimball onto my shoulders so he wouldn't keep trying to get into the trees.  Kimball has gotten into cars, trucks, trains etc.  Every time he sees one of them he screams out.  This normally wouldn't be a problem, but he can't say his tr's instead he replaces it with the f sound.  So as we were walking Josie of course holding onto my leg wanting me to carry her & crying, Kimball sees a fire truck and starts to scream it at the top of his lungs.  Keep in mind he's on my shoulder so the word carries to all round.  You might be wandering why doesn't she have them in a stroller.  I forgot it.  We had cleaned out the car & forgot to put it back in.  BAD MISTAKE!! After an hour and a half we found the tree.  By that time the kids had had it.  We finished with some yummy scones & cinnamon rolls they were selling.  They were great!  As we left Abby asked if we can go again next year.  I had told her that we'd talk about it in a few days.  After a few days, ya I'd take her again.  But I'll bring the stroller, DS and IPod as well.  Really, we will go again, just a little 
more prepared.  Craig's favorite tree was a Game tree which had a bunch of games as presents, McKay favorite was decorated with sports cards, Abby, who was asked last, said her favorite was "McKays Tree".  It became nicknamed that at our house because he had made the birdhouse.  Josies was the DIVA tree, covered in pink pink pink.  Kimballs loved the Fire Truck tree, & I loved the tree blown from glass.  It was cool.  


The bird house finished hanging on the tree.   Doesn't it look good!!


I couldn't get Josie to get into the picture.  She was tired & crying.  Do you love Kimballs scowl. 



"We are a happy family"
As you can imagine everyone around found humor in our family photo.






I grabbed these last two from my cousin Ashley.  Thanks!
P.S.  I found out that everyone else knew it was located on isle O tree 18.  It was for Vickie's Birthday.  (my aunt that past away at the age of 15)

No comments: