Sunday, April 19, 2009

Our Crazy Week!

This year and last I've been the Individual Development chairman @ school.  It's a lot of fun & a lot of work.  One of the biggest things I do through the school year is a cultural arts week.  Last year I did China to gear up for the Olympics.  This year I chose to do Australia.  1) we love it 2)several families in our school are from the land of Oz 3) it's easy-I wouldn't have to do a lot of pre research.  

It turned out to be a fun week, minus one casualty.  We decorated the school with yellow and green banners draped through the ceiling tiles, the bulletin board featured Craig's dad's akubra hat and other things.  That week the principle gave me the speciality classes.  In music we talked about Waltzing Matilda (learned the what the words meant & learned the song), they all got to try the didgeridoo, and showed them how to work a bullroarer- which they got to try at Thursday lunch recess.  In P.E. they got to throw boomerangs and compared them to American Frisbee's.  And for computers I put together a blog page for them to learn about different things.  I didn't get a chance to complete the blog but it turned out okay.  You'll have to check it out.  
Monday through Thursday I put together lunchtime activities: aboriginal dot painting, making boomerangs out of paper (which is when the casualty happened.  A cute little guy cut his finger with scissors and had to get stitches.  I wouldn't have felt as bad if he was one of the jerky older kids.  But he's one of the sweetest little guys I know.  He's in Ab's class.), played "what time is it mr. wolf", and the last day they could try the bullroarer and taste veggie mite on crackers.  Most of them liked it as much as I do, YUCK!.  

After taking everything down and returning a teaching kit to the zoo.  The youngest two were exhausted, the poor things.  
On the way back from the zoo, I turned to check on the kids and saw this:
{Don't worry, Craig's driving}

No comments: