Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back...Yuck!

Back to school....I hate it. I know, you just did an audible gasp. Don't get me wrong when I was little I loved it. The smell of new crayons, the excitement of what hot, fall/winter outfit I'm going to wear even though it's a blazing 90 degrees outside. The way the school smelled when meeting my teacher. Sitting in my desk, with my very own chair. The way the classroom was decorated. I loved it all.

Now... on top of the 3 hours of practicing instruments I get to do without hardly playing a note myself, 2 1/2 hours of reading, and reading tutor runs, music lessons, kids jobs, my house hold "duties", and some "bonding fun time", all of which I love, we then add, homework, fall activities & sports, school schedules, homework, preschool and the list goes on forever, and only some of that do I love. I feel like a chicken running around with it's head cut off. Then only to have teachers tell you that there's a lot of work that needs to be done to get to grade level. Ugh! I should defiantly not have gone to Back to School Night. I want to crawl under the covers and not surface for a long time. I wish I could be one of those "hands off" mother's. At time's I look at them and find myself daydreaming about how wonderful that would be. Then I think of an episode of My Family when the school counselor tells Susan {the mother} to release her "super parent" and that.... "maybe you'd be wiser to adopt a more hands off approach...to ignore them." They get enrolled in a parenting class and she goes crazy trying to act as if she's "chill" with what they are doing or not doing.

I love having my kids home with me, knowing what's going on, being able to head to the dinosaur museum on a hot day, or spend the day making a reading tent and having a read-a-thon equipped with treats. Or sitting and drawing on the sidewalk, and making the worlds longest hopscotch. I am ready for a holiday and it's only a week into school. I want to call the schools and say we have a rare flu that is going to last until May. I know I'm a crazy mom. Most that I've spoken with have started the conversations this last week with, "Aren't you glad schools back?" I want to scream back "NO!! ...." My darling psychologist husband would say I'm a control freak, but he already knows that I know that. So yes the kids are back to school, and I'm going to enjoy the moments I do get with them, because there aren't enough. {and learn, never go to a back to school night or a parent teacher conference, again!}
{1st day of school 2011}

1 comment:

Pres. & Sis. Baird said...

You all look so cute!
Good luck and work hard!
Love you!